BC Ambulance Service

Industry: Health Care, Social Assistance

• I retired from BCAS in 2019 but still to this day (July 2023) feel I am undervalued. I feel I was unsupported at every turn during my career, and when I retired no one even said goodbye or thank you for 36 years fulltime service.
    In 2001 I entered the Advanced life Support (ALS) program and I ended up quitting during my final exams due to the abuse I was put through. I was going through a divorce at the time and my employer, instructors and preceptors knew full well what I was going through, yet they went out of their way to make things more difficult for me.
    After I left the program some of them went up to a friend and stated “We knew Iain was going through a lot and should have helped him more”. They never approached me however.
    One call I was “assessed” on: A sudden death, 76 y/o woman found by her 95 y/o mother. The 76y/o wasn’t viable for resuscitation so after my assessment, I asked everyone to pick up their equipment, I called for police to attend (as was the procedure) and I went to inform the mother her only relative was now dead. I managed to have her understand what had happened. I spent 20 minutes with her as she busied herself offering me tea and cookies, not understanding her daughter was dead. I was taught where someone had died and there was nothing could be done for them, the living now becomes the patient. I ensured this woman was medically ok and tried to console her as best I could.
    One of the BLS members came into the room and I passed her onto him, I asked him to stay with her until the police and victim services arrived.
    I returned to the ambulance and started my documentation. One of my preceptors, sitting in the front of the ambulance, half turned to me and said “That was a 4 word call, She’s dead, let’s go”. I mentioned this to instructors and was met with shrugged shoulders and received zero support.
    December 31, 2017 I was asked to sit in at ECOMM as a liaison with police, fire, and city officials during the New Year’s events going on in Vancouver. ECOMM provided me with a scribe; they expected a lot of information that evening. My manager did not provide me with a computer to monitor dispatch and crew activities. Every 45 minutes or so the group would report their findings. When they came to me I could only report I had no information, I was deaf and blind, I had no way of obtaining information. I phoned dispatch and was told they were too busy to tell me anything. I phoned my manager and BCAS IT and was told there were no computers available and they left me hanging.
    The members of the ECOMM panel asked me to make sure I wrote a report, they supported me and made me feel it was not my fault but I had been let down by my management.
    I submitted my report and the feed back I received from my immediate supervisor was that our director was “Tired of hearing from disgruntled employees”.
    There was an incident with a possibly toxic substance that may have been brought to the station by an unwitting employee. I arrived at work to ready myself (shower and dress) only to be told the station was closed, no one allowed in. My uniform was in my locker, I did not have a replacement at home, yet I was chastised for not being ready to work. We were out of service for several hours until we got cleared by the CDC that there was, in fact no danger. The manager reopened the station and I was allowed to get ready. When I was ready the manager accused me of being the reason for the delay. All I wanted form the beginning was to get dressed and go to work.
    I loved helping people and met some amazing individuals, I loved what I did for my career, but I would not recommend BCEHS/PHSA as an employer.
    There was a saying; “To see how much you were valued when you leave, stick your arm in a bucket of water. When you pull it out look at the impression you leave behind.”
    That is how much BCEHS values employees.
    I don’t know why I am writing this as I believe no one cares anyway and nothing will come of it.

Posted on 15 July 2023 by Rater #186 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

I fully expect this to be ignored as is the culture in BCEHS.

Posted on 15 July 2023