City of Edmonton

Industry: Government and Public Administration

• There are several complaints about the number of temporary positions. Budgeting is part of the problem but I also see it as the City protecting itself from potntially undesirable workers. Use the temporary tenure as an opportunity to enhance your skills, show them you want to be there, and make important contacts. Make a positive impression and it should pay off for you. However, people tend to lose patience and take permanent jobs elsewhere.

Once you achieved a permanent position, there's plenty of opportunity to work on interesting projects and even apply for other jobs - with the security of your permanent placement. Even bid on temporary placements in other areas to gain experience. The benefits and pay are attractive and I take pride in working with a largely exceptional bunch of people - representing a range of ages and backgrounds.

My biggest complaint about working for the City is the amount of dead weight. Too many people seem to be promoted for their years of service when their lack of work ethic and deficit of knowledge suggest this kind of reward is unwarranted. The hard workers who aspire to new opportunities within the company get passed over for people who stopped putting in a hard day's work long ago and spend their time working the system, waiting to retire. It's insulting to the rest of us.

Still, the pros outweight the cons and Edmonton is a great place to work and live.

Posted on 23 January 2012 by Rater #8 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

Update hiring is not from within anymore its who you blow not what you know

Posted on 4 August 2017