City of Edmonton

Industry: Government and Public Administration

• I have worked for the city for about two years now as a "casual-temporary" 'out of scope' employee. I have university degree specific for my job. I recently got a pay raise to $21.45 an hour, which is terrible considering my education, and I get no benefits or health spending account. The paycheque is all I receive. Even though I am a casual employee I regularly work full time hours (because of the nature of my work I get paid for 8 hours a day even though I am at work for 8-12 hours a day, without being able to leave. Often my boss instructs me to commit timesheet fraud so that it looks like I only work 8 hours a day) I also have to travel in between locations to meet with clients with my own vehicle and without getting reimbursed for mileage. I have 3 bosses above me, 2 of which are severely under qualified and have just been grandfathered up the ranks, like most city jobs. I never see my bosses and never get any feedback EXCEPT if its for me doing something wrong (according to their standards, not the employee code of conduct standards). I have even had to go to human resources to get my written warnings from my bosses taken away because they were not legitimate reasons. I work with about 30 other people in my position (all at different centers, we always work on our own)and I can guarantee at least 20 of them are seeking other employment opportunities. Many people have already quit since I started, and the turnover rate is very high. In the specific area I work in the employers do not care about their employees. I have even brought concerns up with them, suggesting something to make our workplace better and the response was "if you do not like it here then find a new place to work," which is a terrible work ethic from an employer. I know that some places in the city are excellent to work for, my whole family works for the city in different areas and I seem to be the only one with a problem, but in my area I would highly suggest looking for a job in a different location like grant macewan, millenium place, or a private employer. I would love to see my workplace and bosses get investigated and audited so that things could turn around.

Posted on 10 June 2013 by Rater #11 | Flag as inappropriate