Pharmaprix

• I checked out this site today after a fellow Associate told me about it and how I need to get involved with the UAPF. On paper the UAPF is attractive, but quite frankly, as a recent associate (I won't say how recent - I don't want to be targeted for my opinion) I think the UAPF has it all wrong. First and foremost, it does not speak for me, one iota. I don't know the two guys behind it, but if I were a betting man, I'd guess that they're just grumpy. It's like they can't make up their minds. "Treat us as business owners" but give us the perks of employees. Which is it? If you want to be more independent, why not do so? Isn't it hypocritical to attack the same company who has given you an opportunity? I know it's been a tough year with reform and all, but I personally feel much more comfortable in the long run being associated with SDM than not. And the lawsuit? I'm sorry, but that's how Americans would treat this problem, not Canadians.

Posted on 19 December 2010 by Rater #529 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

Yup. Union wannabe.

That's a union right?

Posted on 23 December 2010

guys, this is UAPF putting fake postings up!

Posted on 23 December 2010

I'm commentor number 15 on here, and I am certainly not from HO.

The thought makes me shudder.

Posted on 23 December 2010

guys this is head office putting these fake postings up!

Posted on 23 December 2010

I think it must depend on the region possiblly and DM - the DM in my region would not tolerate an associate pulling those kind of shenanigans even for a second. I think associate salaries are pretty justified - if they were just a pharmacist alone they'd be making about 75% of their earnings anyway. Sounds like the argument is that only people who makes less salary have a right to complain...and that doesn't sound right.

Posted on 22 December 2010

I seriously could care less about what kind of car my associate drives. They are medically educated professionals, and if they wish to drive an expensive car, they should really have the right to do so. No one seems to complain much about what their doctors or lawyers or electricians for that matter drive. Is it because these pharmacists are in retail, that they are expected to earn a low salary, and drive the corresponding vehicle?

All I care about, is being treated with respect, and being treated fairly. I go to work, and work hard. I don't slack off. I should be able to expect the same from all of my co-workers, and that, on some days, includes my associate. If they wish to take a day off, and not let their employees know about it, that's their right.

Last time I checked, one of the perks of being a boss, is that you hire employees to work for you. Seems fairly simple to me.

I think happiness with this company, really does depend on the associate you have. I've worked for 6 associates, and really only ever had one that was awful, and treated me like crap. This associate also tried to follow EVERY bit of what HO send down, and in turn, drove themselves, and their employees mental.

The smart associates, run their stores as they see fit, and ignore the rest. They let their employees know, that they are with them, not against them, and to only do as HO says, when HO comes to visit.

These are the associates who gain their employees respect. The employees then work doubly hard for them.

Posted on 22 December 2010

Yes Shoppers does offer something no other company can - A early death from stress!! Unless you have cushy CEO job, with a multi million dollar paycheque!! There are much better opportunities for pharmacists to make a good, stress free, living, than getting in a mess called Shoppers Drug Mart!!

Posted on 22 December 2010

I wouldn't paint all asoociates with the same brush becuase there are some very good ones out there that do treat their staff well . That being said, our associates does drive a very nice car (bmw) , not that theres anything wrong with that. But he has two stores. Many times he'll tell us he's working at the other store, but when we call the other store,they tell us the same thing . He takes more vacations than most and people I know and only works short shifts in the pharmacy. He totally dumps all the work on the fsm including looking after pharmacy infinity. Delegating everything to the fsm seems to de what he does best . We all feel sory for our fsm because he can barely keep up with his own work. So for all the really good associates out, theres probably just as many bad ones too.

Posted on 22 December 2010

I don't know of any associates that act like the one you describe. All of them that I know drive old, banged up cars/vans. None of 'em are fancy. They don't even make their bonuses. I know quite a bit that DO work evenings and weekends. Even some that go into the store on their days off and work. Some care about the business and constantly work to ensure their business is successful.

You should get out more and speak to other associates. Not all associates are like the ones you describe. I've been employed by quite a few and have kept in touch with some of them.

Posted on 21 December 2010

I don't feel sorry for any of the Associates. They make buckets of money and are complaining about their benefits, having to get their bags checked and being bullied by DMs and VPs. How much interaction do Associates even having with their VP anyway?

My Associate does his shifts in pharmacy and can't wait to leave, doesn't work any evenings, drives a nice expensive car and doesn't even know the names of some of the part-timers.

Posted on 21 December 2010

You are a definite newb associate and pharmacist to the chain. I've known associates who worked for the chain for years. I've known some that were even 'forced' out of their stores. They see what's wrong with SDM. They want change and tired of their concerns falling on deaf ears. The guys who launched UAPF and the lawsuit have been with the chain for a LONG while. One was even a PEERS member. They know their stuff and are NOT grumpy old men.

They want to bring back Murray Koffler's ideas back to SDM.

Posted on 21 December 2010

You're probably right. I doubt head office cares about anything employees have to say on here or anywhere else haha

Posted on 20 December 2010

i doubt head office is concerned about ratemyemployer.ca haha

Posted on 20 December 2010

anyone else notice how these a$$kissing comments from HR come in on Sunday nights??

Posted on 20 December 2010

Ilove all this fake stuff that is starting to pop up here now.
Shows that theres some sweating going on with the peons at HO.

Posted on 20 December 2010

"but SDM still offers something no other company does".

Yes they do....
THEY WORST RETAIL EXPERIENCE YOU WILL EVER HAVE!!

Posted on 20 December 2010

I think the rater makes a lot of valid points.

I still do not know of any other pharmacy company in Canada where you can be given a well established store, with everything all set for you, and gain the valuable experience with no initial investment of your own. Yes...there sounds like a lot of flaws based on the complaints on here - but SDM still offers something no other company does.

Posted on 19 December 2010

Comment #1: We'll have to agree to disagree. I've been treated fine, but I also wasn't expecting a cakewalk when I signed up for this.

Comment #2: I don't always get along with my DM - I certainly know more about running pharmacy than he does, but I also understand the trade-off of partnering with SDM: they have a brand to protect, and I want to be associated with that brand. Plain and simple.

It could be because I'm still a youngen, so to speak, but the extra hours don't bother me much. I was already spending way more time at the store before Infinity.

Posted on 19 December 2010

rater 329- do you understand that SDM is a unique company???? This company has been built on trust and respect between two parties. The original vision is based on the fact that SDM corporate is associated with qualified Health professionals to run a buisness where Central Office needs the Associate and the Associate need Central Office. What has happened and this is what the whole uproar is about is......Central Office has decided that it is not only the senior partner but the boss of the associates. The Associates basically have all of the responsibility but really everyone from the DM upwards think they are their bosses and superior. The majority do not have the required education nor the legal authority to even try to run a pharmacy let alone tell the pharmacist how to do their jobs. When I started in this company we thought of ourselves as customers of C.O. Without us they had no job, now the idea is - do as we say or you have no job. projects like infinity have many good points but the first requirement is sufficient staff to do the job. That means you and me.Just another perspective...This was a great company. C.O. is doing a great job destroying the trust, respect, and morale of the employees. This from a pharmacist, who just happens to be another employee not an associate.

Posted on 19 December 2010

Well maybe a Canadian at the helm of this company might make it a better company for all????? THIS is not how Canadians like to be treated!!!
We work hard and in return we expect to be treated with respect and compensated fairly. It burns our sense of decency to watch shareholders reap the benefits of our hard work while we are treated like nothing more than an inconvenience. Maybe that's how it works in certain European countries, BUT NOT HERE!!!!