Statistics Canada

Industry: Government and Public Administration

• Worked as an enumerator while waiting for funding to come through on a (much more lucrative) position elsewhere. Pros: very flexible schedule; met some nice people on the team and on my rounds; worked from home when not on the road. Cons: lots of driving, many repeat visits to the same streets and addresses made it monotonous. Frequent and needless disorganization at the supervisory/mgt levels. Hourly rate was low, and INCLUDED vacation pay; also, they took payroll deductions in spite of us being contract employees, so net pay was much lower than I'd expected. We got mileage and a stipend for using our own computers, both at a lower rate than is paid at my current job. After a few weeks the lists shrank and it was hard to get enough hours. If you just need some extra cash, it's okay as a temporary filler job but I moved on fast.

Posted on 22 November 2016 by Rater #9 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

They'll hire anyone to be supervisors, including a totally dysfunctional ex-coworker of mine who discovered that I was working for StatsCan and phoned my house twice, long-distance, for no apparent reason than to listen to my answering machine. It takes all kinds.

Posted on 25 August 2017