University of Victoria

Industry: Education, Training

• I was employed as term temporary staff in the Communications, Food Services, Student Recruitment departments over a sporadic 15 years. It's highly unionized and you can forget about getting permanent full time anytime soon. Even if a lot of staff happen to die, you'd still not get in because the employer and union bureaucracy will crush you. It's a good place to work and you will be temporary and then you will leave. If you have powerful political connections then you may get in, like any other large organization.

Posted on 22 September 2008 by Rater #1 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

I work at UVic, and have hired many employees. There is no nepotism. HR is quite transparent. There is no nepotism or favoritism. If you feel that you were not hired for a job that you applied to there is an appeal process, whereby the hiring committee is required to justify their choice. It may just be that you are not as qualified as the other applicants.

UVic is not a perfect place, but overall it is a hard place to get a job - because competiton is fierce. As a result, the workforce is stellar.

Posted on 4 June 2010

I don't bother applying at Uvic for any jobs at all, anymore. It is a waste of time even for jobs that I have done before. This place is just like the BC Government Civil Service, the answer to your job application is always "NO", no matter whatever your qualifications or work experience. I suspect they are definitely using the nepotism approach to hire only family and friends of current staff. It's not what you know, it's who you know or blow. This joke isn't too far away from the truth.

Posted on 24 October 2009